Table of Contents
Sustainable Fashion Technology
Innovative Sustainable Textiles
- Bio-based fur is first on the list which is quickly joining the luxury market while supporting animal welfare. Stella McCartney has been a pioneer in creating a closed-loop sustainable business using innovative material such as her bio-based faux fur called KOBA. McCartney teamed with Ecopel and Dupont Biomaterial to create this 37% plant-based fabric which consumes 30% less energy than most fabrics and produces 63% less greenhouse gas than conventional synthetic material.
- Second on the list is digital knitting. This has made huge strides in the 3D printing world, offering a myriad of possibilities for customisation. It is an incredibly fast process producing highly functional clothing items with minimal waste. Haworth is a leader in this technology offering new and unexpected textile possibilities. A company that works alongside this producing yarn is Ecotec. This Italian based company is exclusive to Marchi & Fildi and launched in 2015 at Première Vision in Paris. Ecotec has been the first to manufacture a process able to turn 100% pre-consumer and pre-dyed scraps from various textiles into yarn. This yarn is suitable for woven textiles, knits, hosiery, and upholstery. This process reduces landfill waste and the production cycle is shorter! There are now several companies who are Ecotec accredited partners, including: COMATEX, Euromaglia S.r.l, HATA, Lana Reale, Manifattura CBM, and Tessuti & Tessuti srl.
- A third innovation textile is made from orange fiber! Sustainable luxury fans will love this 100% sustainable fabric, made from citrus fruit by-products. The Italian brand creates high-quality fabrics while reducing the amount of citrus waste. Salvatore Ferragamo produced a line of beautiful orange fiber scarves.
- Algae Apparel is next. This innovative company creates biodegradable fibers that can be turned into eco-friendly dye. They were even finalists for the 2018 Global Innovation Awards. This sustainable material prevents water pollution from dye, reduces carbon footprints and reduces the use of chemical fertilizers.
- Unspun is a jean brand applying tech to produce customized, made-to-order jeans! By using 3D body scanners, the style, fabric, stitch color, waist rise, and leg length can be chosen by the customer. The process of body scanning is even possible straight from your iphone to create a hyper-accurate body model. Their goal is to produce jeans that their consumers can love and appreciate knowing they were made just for you.